About this blog...

Here you will find information, musings, and pictures about life, the natural world and writing.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

MS Word for Authors: Get lost, italic! You, too, bold!

A tiny tip just in from our far-flung correspondence (no, not correspondents).

To easily get rid of bold, italic, and/or underline formatting, highlight the offending text, then hit Control + space. Back to normal! Yay!

This seems to work the same (Control + space) for PCs and for Macs.




Bold? I know a thing or two about bold.

6 comments:

Jean Henry Mead said...

Thanks for the tip, Ann. That will save me time and effort. :)

Eloise Hill said...

Ann, you are the MS Word Goddess! Your other tips have saved me much time and effort and even got me in there exploring a bit on my own. Many thanks:)

Evan Lewis said...

Interesting. What this actually does, I see, is revert the text to the default setting. So if you have manually changed the font or size, Control + space changes it back.

Ann Littlewood said...

Quite right, Evan. At least, that's what I found.

Anonymous said...

I have lost the underline function on the toolbar. I have two icons from an attempt to fix this but neither work. What did I do to cause this?

Ann Littlewood said...

Since you say "toolbar" and not "ribbon", I assume you have an older version of Word. First, be sure your Word window is dragged wide. Do the toolbars show Normal, the font, bold, etc? If none of these are displayed, go to View and look for Toolbars. Click Formatting. If that doesn't fix it, take a look at View/Toolbars/Customize (at the bottom). Click on the Toolbars tab. Click on Formatting. That should add a check mark. Then click on the Reset button. If none of these work, email me at
zoomysteries at-sign gmail.com. If one of these does work, tag my books on Amazon!

Post a Comment