About this blog...

Here you will find information, musings, and pictures about life, the natural world and writing.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Balance, breathe, begin again

Today I watched a little video of a Bill McKibben OpEd piece on climate change (click here). It always gets me down to think of the destruction we humans are causing on my watch and my inexplicable failure to put a stop to it. There's some trick to saving the world that I just can't seem to get.

But I just unearthed in the chaos of my desk a Gary Snyder poem that is a small comfort. Perhaps he won't mind me quoting it if I include a link to his page at City Lights bookstore, where you can get lots of his fine poems. Click here.

As the Crickets

As the crickets' soft autumn hum
is to us,
so are we to the trees
as are they
to the rocks and the hills


Which I take to mean: all this will pass, regardless of what you or I attempt or accomplish.


Is that really the best you can do?

No comments:

Post a Comment